Two years ago today, I weighed 298 pounds and was in the hospital. I had my gastric by-pass surgery October 24, 2012. It’s amazing how my life has changed! I’m not quite at my goal weight yet, but I know I will never weigh 300 pounds again!
I feel so much better and my life, which was once so lonely, is very full. I am happy with the new direction my life has taken. I know a lot of people look down on bariatric surgeries. I know I did for a long time. Many people think this is the easy way out. For me, where I was in my life, it felt like the only choice. I have no regrets. I am not looking back!
Here is a brief list of the many positive changes
- I can walk without pain.
- Breathing is easier.
- I can walk and breathe at the same time!
- I feel very self-aware.
- I am no longer invisible.
- I am no longer invisible to men. (!!)
- I feel more confident.
- My blood pressure is normal without medication.
- My blood sugar is normal.
- My triglycerides are normal.
- My heart rate is normal.
- I don’t have to shop at plus-sized stores any more!
- My grocery bills have gone way down.
- My overall health is right on target!
- I have a whole new wardrobe!
- I got rid of all of my fat girl clothes.
- I can use a small suitcase as my clothes do not take up so much room.
- I am very active.
- Because of my improved health, I can go to all kinds of fairs and festivals!
- For the first time in a long time, I really see a future for myself.
- I look cute in clothes!
- There is room between me and the steering wheel of my car.
- I can fit comfortably in most airline seats (as comfortable as one can get in those).
- I can run a little bit.
- I re-discovered just how awesome my friends and family are!
Sometimes this journey is still hard. I will always have challenges, and I will always fight this fight. But for the first time in my life, I feel like I am winning!
Posted in bariatric, diet, exercise, fat, fat chick, gastric by-pass, health, healthy, life, lifestyle, walking, weight loss
Tagged fat, health, healthy, life, lifestyle, skinny, skinny girl, surgiversary, weight loss
I was thrown off course with my exercise plan last week. I had not been feeling great the week before that and my exercise slowed down. I was tired a lot and started having trouble taking deep breaths.
I woke up on Monday, Oct 6 with what I thought was a horrible cold. I was very sick and eventually went to urgent care. Turns out, I had a very mild form of pneumonia. Let me tell you, if that was mild, I do not ever want to get full-blown pneumonia. I missed work most of last week.
I have also had trouble getting motivated getting back to the gym. I have gotten my diet back on track and I’ve been doing pretty good.
I also have received many requests for my spinach pie recipe. I am making it again tomorrow for a thing I’m going to at my friend’s art studio. The last time I made it, I took many pictures of the process. I am going to update my recipe with some good pictures.
I know I need to get back to the gym. I think tomorrow is out as I have the full day chock full of activities already, so Sunday, definitely. That said, I am going to be doing a lot of walking on Saturday, so there will be some exercise. But I am also going to start tonight doing some things at home. Planking, sit-ups, etc. Things I have difficulty doing at the gym in some of the exercise classes that I take. I feel much better doing those at home anyway.
Anyway, I am feeling kind of blah after my bout with pneumonia. It was kind of strange to have difficulty breathing after over a year of being able to breathe without any problems at all. Plus I’ve been resting, staying in, trying to make sure I’m fully recovered from the pneumonia so that I do not have a relapse. I feel like a big fat cow. I know I’m not, but I just feel so bloated and fat. That’s not really helping me feel motivated. I know it should, but it does not.
But on the bright side, it is Friday! Hopefully, after a weekend of getting back into exercise, I will feel much better next week.
Posted in asthma, diet, exercise, fat, health, healthy, lifestyle, lifestyle. diet plan
Tagged exercise, fat, health, healthy, life, lifestyle