Two years ago today, I weighed 298 pounds and was in the hospital. I had my gastric by-pass surgery October 24, 2012. It’s amazing how my life has changed! I’m not quite at my goal weight yet, but I know I will never weigh 300 pounds again!
I feel so much better and my life, which was once so lonely, is very full. I am happy with the new direction my life has taken. I know a lot of people look down on bariatric surgeries. I know I did for a long time. Many people think this is the easy way out. For me, where I was in my life, it felt like the only choice. I have no regrets. I am not looking back!
Here is a brief list of the many positive changes
- I can walk without pain.
- Breathing is easier.
- I can walk and breathe at the same time!
- I feel very self-aware.
- I am no longer invisible.
- I am no longer invisible to men. (!!)
- I feel more confident.
- My blood pressure is normal without medication.
- My blood sugar is normal.
- My triglycerides are normal.
- My heart rate is normal.
- I don’t have to shop at plus-sized stores any more!
- My grocery bills have gone way down.
- My overall health is right on target!
- I have a whole new wardrobe!
- I got rid of all of my fat girl clothes.
- I can use a small suitcase as my clothes do not take up so much room.
- I am very active.
- Because of my improved health, I can go to all kinds of fairs and festivals!
- For the first time in a long time, I really see a future for myself.
- I look cute in clothes!
- There is room between me and the steering wheel of my car.
- I can fit comfortably in most airline seats (as comfortable as one can get in those).
- I can run a little bit.
- I re-discovered just how awesome my friends and family are!
Sometimes this journey is still hard. I will always have challenges, and I will always fight this fight. But for the first time in my life, I feel like I am winning!